Habiba AttaCountry of origin: Nigeria Currently in: Nigeria, Zaria General field of specialization: Biological Systems and Organisms
Degrees2016 Doctorate Biological Systems and Organisms
Current Research Activities
Biological Systems and Organisms
1. Studying hydrocarbon degrading bacteria using culture dependent and molecular methods. 2. Determining the diversity of antibiotic resistant enteric bacteria in environmental samples. 3. Studying the diversity of bacteria in xenobiotic contaminated soils. 4. Studying the effect of various land use practices on the diversity of soil dwelling microorganisms.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Ishaq, Z., Machido, D.A. and Atta, H.I. (2022). Molecular characterization of indigenous Bradyrhizobium species from savannah soil and evaluation of their nodulating properties in soybean plant. Agricultural Science and Technology, https://www.agriscitech.eu.
2. Akinyelure, E.O., Machido, D.A. and Atta, H.I. (2021). Efficacy of Bacillus thringiensis isolated against tomato leaf miner (Tuta absoluta) larvae on tomato plants under screen house conditions. Agricultural Science and Technology, https://www.agriscitech.eu. DOI:10.15547/ast.2021.04000
3. Atta, H.I., Mustapha, F., Goni, A.B., Bishir, M. (2021). Optimization of biomethanation by codigestion of municipal solid waste with domestic food waste and waste water sludge. International Journal of Biomass and Renewables, 10(2):25–34.
4. Bamgbose, T., Atta, H.I. and Anupkumar, R.A. (2021). Bacteriocins of Lactic Acid Bacteria and Their Industrial Application. Curr. Top. Lact. Acid Bact. Probiotics, 7(1):1-13. https://doi.org/10.35732/ctlabp.2021.7.1.1 ISSN 2287-853X
5. Akinyelure, E.O., Machido, D.A. and Atta, H.I. (2021). Molecular characterization of soil-dwelling Bacillus thringiensis using transcriptional regulator, xre gene and the crystal protein, cry2 gene. UMYU Journal of Microbiology Research. https://doi.org/10.47430/ujmr.2161.017.
6. Atta, H.I., Idris S.M., Gulumbe, B.H. and Awoniyi, O.J. (2021). Detection of extended spectrum beta-lactamase genes in strains of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from recreational water and tertiary hospital waste water in Zaria, Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Health Research. https://doi: 10.1080/09603123.2021.1940884
7. Atta, H.I. and Umar, F.F. (2021). Prevalence of otitis media in children attending a primary health care centre in Samaru, Zaria, Nigeria. Ife Journal of Science, 23(1):123-130.
8. Tajudeen, Y.A., Oladunjoye, I.O., Atta, H.I. and Oyediji, K.E. (2021). CRISPR-Cas Systems: A potential tool to reduce the global burden of antimicrobial resistance. Bacterial Empire, 4(2):e273.
9. Salihu, M.K, Yarima, A and Atta, H.I. (2020). Methods for the Phenotypic Detection of Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase (ESBL)-Producing Bacteria. Nigerian Journal of Biotechnology, DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.4314/njb.v37i2.11.
10. Odili, U.C; Ibrahim, F.B; Shaibu-Imodagbe, E.M; Atta, H.I. (2020). Optimization of Crude Oil Biodegradation of Fungi Isolated from Refinery Effluent Site using Response Surface Methodology. Nigerian Journal of Technological Development, http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/njtd.v17i4.3.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchTeachingConducting research in the field of Environmental Microbiology and also on a multidisciplinary capacity with colleagues in the fields of Soil Science, Biology, Environmental Engineering, Built Environment, Chemical Engineering and Public Health. Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Microbiology, as well as supervising theses and dissertations.
Workshop and Conference Attended2022 Zaria, Nigeria “Environmental Laws, Regulations and Conflict Resolution in Nigeria”, Sustainable Procurement, Environment and Social Standards Centre of excellence2022 Zaria, Nigeria Development of Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP)”, Sustainable Procurement, Environment and Social Standards Centre of excellence2020 Online “Grant Applications: Writing a Competitive Research Proposal”, a virtual workshop held by the Global Health Network, Central Africa Clinical Research Network and African Coalition for Epidemic Research, Response and Training
AffiliationsNigerian Society for MicrobiologyAmerican Society for MicrobiologySociety for General Microbiology
Presentation given2021Restoring Ecosystems using Microbial Biotechnology.OnlineEvent: World Environment Day 2021 commemoration by The Global Youth Climate Action Initiative in collaboration with Nigeria Youth Climate Network2020“Effect of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons on The Diversity and Abundance of Bacteria in a Heavily Polluted Soil”OnlineEvent: “Summer of Science” of the American Society for Microbiology
Other AwardsMay 2016Ambassador of Students AwardOct 2008Innovators of Tomorrow AwardJan 2010Petroleum Trust Development Fund (P.T.D.F) In Country Scholarship AwardJun 2021Fulbright Visiting Scholar