Maha HoteitCountry of origin: Lebanon Currently in: Lebanon, Beirut General field of specialization: Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Degrees2007 Undergraduate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences2009 Master Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences2013 Doctorate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences2023 Doctorate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Current Research Activities
Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Currently, my area of research revolves around public health/community nutrition, food security, dietary diversity, nutritional epidemiology, food composition data, food safety including Mycotoxin and antimicrobial resistance and artificial intelligence in relation with nutrition research. My research has been published so far in more than 50 indexed international journals, and presented in more than seven national and international scientific meetings. My research in the field of public health/community nutrition is evident from the articles that were published. In light of the high need for research in the field of food composition in Lebanon, I started working in the area of analyzing traditional dishes and developing food composition data. Moreover, many publications were published that are related to food security and infant and young child feeding. A full list of my research articles can be found in my resume or on my Google Scholar account: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=ar&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=maha+hoteit&btnG=
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Baddoura R, Hoteit M, El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Osteoporosis fractures, DXA, and fracture risk assessment: meeting future challenges in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. J Clin Densitom 2011;14(4):384-94.
2. Hoteit M, Arabi A, Habib R, Mahfouz R, Baddoura R, Halaby G, El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Estrogen Receptor α: A Candidate Gene for Metabolic Syndrome? Metabolism 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2013.08.004
3. Bassil D, Rahmeh M, Hoteit M, El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Hypovitaminosis D in the Middle East and North Africa: Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Impact on Outcomes. Dermato-Endocrinology volume 5:Issue 2, 274-298; April/May/June 2013.
4. M Hoteit, Laila Al-Shaar, Cynthia Yazbeck, Maria Bou Sleiman,TalaGhalayini,Ghada El-Hajj Fuleihan. Hypovitaminosis D in a sunny country: Time trends,predictors, and implications for practice guidelines. Metabolism clinical and experiment l63(2014)968 – 978.
5. El Hajj F.,Hoteit M.,Ouaknine M. Elbow Arthroscopy :An alternative to Anteromedial Portals. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2015Jun;101(4):411-4.doi:10.1016/j.otsr.2015.03.011.Epub2015Apr 21.
6. Mohamad Koubar, Jamil Houhou, Maha Hoteit, Mohamad Al-Iskandarani. A comparative study of the physicochemical and bacterial characteristics of the three drinking water sources distributed in Haret-Hreik city, Lebanon. Elixir Pollution 41459: 96 (2016) 41459-41465.
7. Zahraa Kassem, Doha Saleh, Mohamad Al-Iskandarani, Loubna El Tayyara and Maha Hoteit. Fruits and Vegetables Intake Lowers the Risk of Hypertension: Does It Really Work?Elixir Nutrition and Dietetics 100; (2016); 43688-43692.
8. Samah Haidar, Doha Shebly, Samah Doumiyati, Sarine El Daouk, Loubna El Tayara, and Maha Hoteit. Does Mediterranean Diet Alone Lower the Risk of Diabetes? Elixir Nutrition and Dietetics 100; (2016); 43693-43699.
9. El-Hajj Fuleihan, G., Baddoura, R., Habib, R. H., Halaby, G., Arabi, A., Rahme, M., Singh, R. J., Kassem, M., Mahfoud, Z., Hoteit, M., Daher, R. T., & Kassir, M. F. (2016). Effect of vitamin D replacement on indexes of insulin resistance in overweight elderly individuals: a randomized controlled trial. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 104(2), 315–323. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.116.132589
10. A. Arabi, N .Khoueiry-Zgheib, Z. Awada, R. Mahfouz, L. Al-Shaar, M. Hoteit, M. Rahme , R. Baddoura , G. Halabi, R. Singh, G. El Hajj Fuleihan. CYP2R1 polymorphisms are important modulators of circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in elderly females with vitamin insufficiency, but not of the response to vitamin D supplementation. Osteoporos Int. DOI 2017 10.1007/s00198-016-3713-5.
11. Amani Haidar, Lama Jouni, Mohamad Koubar, Sarine El Daouk, Maha Hoteit. Impact of active smoking, passive smoking, and smoking cessation on overweight and obesity: First national cross-sectional study. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health. 2017 ;Vol 6 ;Issue 3; 577-582.
12. Soha Hourani, Nagham Hamadeh, Mohamad Al-Iskandarani, Sarine El Daouk, Maha Hoteit. Physical Activity and Obesity Indicators: Prevalence and Associations through a National Cross Sectional Study on Lebanese Adults. International Journalof Public Health Science. Vol.6, No.1, March 2017, pp. 1~6. ISSN: 2252-8806.
13. AbiAcar Rita, Mansour Racha, Mohamad Al Iskandarani, Loubna El Tayyara, Maha Hoteit. Is Adherence To TLC Diet Inversely Associated With Dyslipidemia, High Body Mass Index and High Waist Circumference Rates? - Validation of MEDFICTS Questionnaire. Bio Accent Journal Nutrition (2017); 3: 13-23.
14. Rahme, M., Sharara, S. L., Baddoura, R., Habib, R. H., Halaby, G., Arabi, A., Singh, R. J., Kassem, M., Mahfoud, Z., Hoteit, M., Daher, R. T., Bassil, D., El Ferkh, K., & El-Hajj Fuleihan, G. (2017). Impact of Calcium and Two Doses of Vitamin D on Bone Metabolism in the Elderly: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, 32(7), 1486–1495. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.3122
15. Yassine, M. H., Rifai, A., Hoteit, M., Mazellier, P., & Al Iskandarani, M. (2017). Study of the degradation process of ofloxacin with free chlorine by using ESI-LCMSMS: Kinetic study, by-products formation pathways and fragmentation mechanisms. Chemosphere, 189, 46–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2017.08.171
16. Douaa Khawla, Houda Rima, Fatina Sleiman, Mohamad Al-Iskandarani, Mohamad Koubar, Maha Hoteit. Insufficient Sleep is a Contributor to Overweight and Type 2 Diabetes in Adults: Any Contribution from Caffeine? International Journal of Diabetes Research 2017, 6(4): 83-90 DOI: 10.5923/j.diabetes.20170604.02
17. Shahrazad Moustafa, Zeinab Tawbe, Sarine El Daouk, Mohamad Al-Iskandarani, Fatina Sleiman, Mohamad Koubar and Maha Hoteit. Body Image Perception in Association with Healthy Lifestyle Behaviour's in Lebanese Men and Women. Int J Sch Cog Psychol 2017, 4:4 DOI: 10.4172/2469-9837.1000201
18. Nassar R , Mokh S , Rifai A , Chamas F , Hoteit M , Al Iskandarani M Transformation of sulfaquinoxaline by chlorine and UV light in water: kinetics and by-product identification. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int [01 Dec 2017] DOI: 10.1007/s11356-017-0814-4 Environ Sci Pollut Res (2018) 25: 34863. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-0814-4
19. Malak Ghandour, Sarah Kteish, Husam Ghuson, Mohamad Koubar, Mohamad Al-Iskandarani, Sarine El Daouk and Maha Hoteit. What are the Best Predictors of Non-Communicable Diseases (Diabetes, Hypertension and Dyslipidemia) and of Cardiovascular Diseases Risk Factors among Anthropometric Measurements in the Middle Eastern Lebanese Population? BAOJ Nutrition 2018 4: 1 4: 049
20. Rahme M, Al-Shaar L, Singh R, Baddoura R, Halaby G, Arabi A, Habib RH, Daher R, Bassil D, El-Ferkh K, Hoteit M, El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Limitations of platform assays to measure serum 25OHD level impact on guidelines and practice decision making. Metabolism. 2018 Dec;89:1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2018.09.003. Epub 2018 Sep 15.
21. Hoteit, M., Zoghbi, E., Al Iskandarani, M., Rady, A., Shankiti, I., Matta, J., & Al-Jawaldeh, A. (2020). Nutritional value of the Middle Eastern diet: analysis of total sugar, salt, and iron in Lebanese traditional dishes. F1000Research, 9, 1254. https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.26278.1
22. El Haddad, R. F., Yahfoufi, N.., Abou Haidar, M ., & Hoteit, M. (2020). Knowledge, Attitude and Practices of Lebanese Married Women towards Food Safety. Atena Journal of Public Health, 2, 1. Retrieved from https://www.atenajournals.com/index.php/ajph/article/view/7
23. Fares, K., Barada, D., Hoteit, M. ., & Abou Haidar, M. . (2020). Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among Lebanese University students of Hadath Campus. Atena Journal of Public Health, 2, 5. Retrieved from https://www.atenajournals.com/index.php/ajph/article/view/22
24. Hoteit, M., Zoghbi, E., Rady, A., Shankiti, I., & Al-Jawaldeh, A. (2021). Fatty Acids Quality in Middle Eastern Traditional Dishes, Arabic Sweets and Market Foods Frequently Consumed in Lebanon. Nutrients, 13(7), 2462. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13072462
25. Hoteit, M., Zoghbi, E., Rady, A., Shankiti, I., & Al-Jawaldeh, A. (2021). Development of a Lebanese food exchange system based on frequently consumed Eastern Mediterranean traditional dishes and Arabic sweets. F1000Research, 10, 12. https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.27461.1
26. Hoteit, M.; Al-Atat, Y.; Joumaa, H.; Ghali, S.E.; Mansour, R.; Mhanna, R.; Sayyed-Ahmad, F.; Salameh, P.; Al-Jawaldeh, A. Exploring the Impact of Crises on Food Security in Lebanon: Results from a National Cross-Sectional Study. Sustainability 2021, 13, 8753. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13168753
27. Mohsen, H.; Yazbeck, N.; Al-Jawaldeh, A.; Bou Chahine, N.; Hamieh, H.; Mourad, Y.; Skaiki, F.; Salame, H.; Salameh, P.; Hoteit, M. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Related to Dietary Supplementation, before and during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Findings from a Cross-Sectional Survey in the Lebanese Population. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 8856. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18168856.
28. Hoteit M, Zoghbi E, Rady A, Shankiti I, Ibrahim C, Al-Jawaldeh A. Assessment of Industrially Produced Trans Fatty Acids in Traditional Dishes, Arabic Sweets, and Market Food Products and Its Risks on Non-communicable Diseases in Lebanon. Front Nutr. 2021 Oct 21;8:727548. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2021.727548. PMID: 34746203; PMCID: PMC8566673.
29. Hoteit M, Zoghbi E, Rady A, Shankiti I, Ibrahim C, Al-Jawaldeh A. Non-Conjugated-Industrially-Produced-Trans Fatty in Lebanese Foods: The Case of Elaidic and Linolelaidic Acids. Nutrients. 2021 Oct 19;13(10):3664. doi: 10.3390/nu13103664. PMID: 34684664; PMCID: PMC8536972.
30. Jabbour, J.; Awada, D.; Naim, N.; Al-Jawaldeh, A.; Haidar Ahmad, H.; Mortada, H.; Hoteit, M. Impact of Bariatric Surgery on the Healthy Eating Index, Binge Eating Behavior and Food Craving in a Middle Eastern Population: A Lebanese Experience. Healthcare 2021, 9, 1416. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9111416 (Correspondence)
31. Al-Jawaldeh A, Taktouk M, Chatila A, Naalbandian S, Abdollahi Z, Ajlan B, Al Hamad N, Alkhalaf MM, Almamary S, Alobaid R, Alyafei SA, Azizi MH, Baqadir NM, Barham R, Binsunaid FF, El Ammari L, El Ati J, Hoteit M, Massad H, Nejad MS and Nasreddine L (2021) A Systematic Review of Trans Fat Reduction Initiatives in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. Front. Nutr. 8:771492. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2021.771492.
32. Hoteit, M., Mortada, H., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Mansour, R., Yazbeck, B., AlKhalaf, M., Bookari, K., Tayyem, R., Al-Awwad, N. J., Al Sabbah, H., Cheikh Ismail, L., Qasrawi, R., Abu Seir, R., Kamel, I., Dashti, S., Allehdan, S., Al-Mannai, M., Bawadi, H., Waly, M., & Regional CORONA COOKING Survey Group (2022). Dietary Diversity in the Eastern Mediterranean Region Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Disparities, Challenges, and Mitigation Measures. Frontiers in nutrition, 9, 813154. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.813154
33. Abi Khalil, H., Hawi, M., & Hoteit, M. (2022). Feeding Patterns, Mother-Child Dietary Diversity and Prevalence of Malnutrition Among Under-Five Children in Lebanon: A Cross-Sectional Study Based on Retrospective Recall. Frontiers in nutrition, 9, 815000. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.815000
34. Hoteit M, Yazbeck N, Al-Jawaldeh A et al. Assessment of the knowledge, attitudes and practices of Lebanese shoppers towards food labeling: The first steps in the Nutri-score roadmap [Accepted]. F1000Research 2022, 11:84 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.75703.1).
35. Hoteit M, Mortada H, Al-Jawaldeh A et al. COVID-19 home isolation and food consumption patterns: Investigating the correlates of poor dietary diversity in Lebanon: a cross-sectional study. F1000Research 2022, 11:84. (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.75768.1).
36. Daou R*, Hoteit M*, Bookari K, Al-Khalaf M, Nahle S, Al-Jawaldeh A, Koubar M, Doumiati S, EL Khoury A. Aflatoxin B1 Occurrence in Children under the Age of Five’s Food Products and Aflatoxin M1 Exposure Assessment and Risk Characterization of Arab Infants through Consumption of Infant Powdered Formula: A Lebanese Experience. Toxins. 2022; 14(5):290. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins14050290
37. Hoteit, M., Hoteit, R., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Abou Nasr, M., Obeid, S., Fakih, C., El Hajj, M., Qasrawi, R., Abu Seir, R., Allehdan, S., Ismail, M. S., Bookari, K., Arrish, J., Al-Bayyari, N., & Tayyem, R. (2022). Adherence to the United States Department of Agriculture Dietary Recommendations Pre- and During the Coronavirus Disease-19 Pandemic Among Pregnant Women in Arab Countries. Frontiers in nutrition, 9, 824305. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.824305
38. Sadek, Z.; Mohsen, H.; Yazbek, S.; Nabulsi, Z.A.A.; Sarraj, A.R.; Hoteit, M. Dietary
Supplements Use Among Athletes in Lebanon: Knowledge, Attitudes, Practices and Correlates. Foods 2022, 11, x. https://doi.org/10.3390/xxxxx (Accepted)
39. Qasrawi R, Amro M, VicunaPolo S Diala Abu Al-Halawa, Hazem Agha, Rania Abu Seir, Maha Hoteit; Reem Hoteit; Sabika Allehdan, Nouf Behzad, Khlood Bookari, Majid AlKhalaf, Haleama Al-Sabbah, Eman Badran, Reema Tayyem. Machine learning techniques for predicting depression and anxiety in pregnant and postpartum women during the COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional regional study. F1000Research 2022, 11:390 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.110090.1)
40. Hoteit, M.; Ibrahim, C.; Saadeh, D.; Al-Jaafari, M.; Atwi, M.; Alasmar, S.; Najm, J.; Sacre, Y.; Hanna-Wakim, L.; Al-Jawaldeh, A. Correlates of Sub-Optimal Feeding Practices among under-5 Children amid Escalating Crises in Lebanon: A National Representative Cross-Sectional Study. Children 2022, 9, 817. https://doi.org/10.3390/children9060817
41. Tayyem, R., Al-Bayyari, N., Al-Awwad, N., Abuhijleh, H., Hoteit, R., Qasrawi, R., Badran, E., Basha, A., Allehdan, S., Boukari, K., Arrish, J., Seir, R. A., & Hoteit, M. (2022). Dietary intake and lifestyle practices of eastern mediterranean postpartum women before and during COVID-19 pandemic: An internet-based cross-sectional survey. Frontiers in nutrition, 9, 932418. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.932418
42. Hoteit M, Chamas Z, Assaf S et al. Nutritional status, nutrient imbalances, food-related behaviors and dietary supplements use among patients with celiac disease in Lebanon: a national cross-sectional study. F1000Research 2022, 11:725 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.121859.1)
43. Hoteit, M., Mohsen, H., Bookari, K., Moussa, G., Jurdi, N., & Yazbeck, N. (2022). Prevalence, correlates, and gender disparities related to eating disordered behaviors among health science students and healthcare practitioners in Lebanon: Findings of a national cross sectional study. Frontiers in nutrition, 9, 956310. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.956310
44. Al Sabbah, H., Taha, Z., Qasrawi, R., Assaf, E. A., Cheikh Ismail, L., Al Dhaheri, A. S., Hoteit, M., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Tayyem, R., Bawadi, H., AlKhalaf, M., Bookari, K., Kamel, I., Dashti, S., Allehdan, S., Alalwan, T. A., Hammouh, F., Waly, M. I., Al-Halawa, D. A., Mansour, R., … The Regional Corona Cooking Survey Group (2022). The Impact of COVID-19 on Physical (In)Activity Behavior in 10 Arab Countries. International journal of environmental research and public health, 19(17), 10832. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191710832
45. Mohsen, H., Sacre, Y., Hanna-Wakim, L., & Hoteit, M. (2022). Nutrition and Food Literacy in the MENA Region: A Review to Inform Nutrition Research and Policy Makers. International journal of environmental research and public health, 19(16), 10190. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191610190
46. Ibrahim, C., Kammouni, Z., Barake, M., Kassir, M., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Matta, J., Sacre, Y., Hanna-Wakim, L., Haddad, J., & Hoteit, M. (2022). Pediatric Health Risk Assessment for Exposure to Aluminum from Infant Formulas and Children under the Age of Five's Food Products among Arab Infants: Experience from Lebanon. Foods (Basel, Switzerland), 11(16), 2503. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods11162503
47. Mohsen, H., Ibrahim, C., Bookari, K., Saadeh, D., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Sacre, Y., Hanna-Wakim, L., Al-Jaafari, M., Atwi, M., AlAsmar, S., Najem, J., & Hoteit, M. (2022). Prevalence of Essential Nutrient Supplement Use and Assessment of the Knowledge and Attitudes of Lebanese Mothers towards Dietary Supplement Practices in Maternal, Infancy and Preschool Ages: Findings of a National Representative Cross-Sectional Study. Foods (Basel, Switzerland), 11(19), 3005. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods11193005
48. Yazbeck, N., Mansour, R., Salame, H., Chahine, N. B., & Hoteit, M. (2022). The Ukraine-Russia War Is Deepening Food Insecurity, Unhealthy Dietary Patterns and the Lack of Dietary Diversity in Lebanon: Prevalence, Correlates and Findings from a National Cross-Sectional Study. Nutrients, 14(17), 3504. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14173504
49. Ibrahim, C., Bookari, K., Sacre, Y., Hanna-Wakim, L., & Hoteit, M. (2022). Breastfeeding Practices, Infant Formula Use, Complementary Feeding and Childhood Malnutrition: An Updated Overview of the Eastern Mediterranean Landscape. Nutrients, 14(19), 4201. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14194201
50. Reema Tayyem, Mohammed O. Ibrahim, Hussein Mortada, Dr. Majid M. Alkhalaf, Khlood Bookari, Haleama Al Sabbah, Radwan Qasrawi, IMAN H. KAMEL, Sabika Allehdan, Hiba Ahmad A. Bawadi, Hiba Bawadi, Mostafa Waly, Haya Abuhijleh, Fadwa Hammouh, Narmeen Al-Awwad, Nahla Al-Bayyari, Leila Cheikh Ismail, Diala Abu Al-Halawa, Manal Othman and Maha Hoteit. Sex Disparities in Food Consumption Patterns, Dietary Diversity and Determinants of Self-Reported Body Weight Changes Before and Amid the COVID-19 pandemic in 10 Arab Countries. Front. Public Health. Sec. Health Economics. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2022.1029219.
51. Bookari, K.; Arrish, J.; Zaher, S.; Alkhalaf, M.; Alharbi, M.; Alkhattaf, N.; Harb, Z.; Al Hinai, E.; Alanqodi, N.; Almajed, S.; Aldwarji, M.; Alqaoud, N.; Elati, J.; Hoteit, M. A Snapshot of the Experience of Dietitians during the COVID-19 Crisis in Five Arab Countries: Findings from a Regional Cross-Sectional Study. Nutrients 2022, 14, 4904. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14224904.
52. Hoteit, M.; Yaghi, J.; El Khoury, A.; Daou, R.; Hindieh, P.; Assaf, J.C.; Al Dawi, J.; Khoury, J.E.; Al Jawaldeh, A. Prevalence and Antibiotic Resistance of Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli Isolated from Bovine Raw Milk in Lebanon: A study on Antibiotic Usage, Antibiotic Residues, and Assessment of Human Health Risk Using the One Health Approach. Antibiotics 2022, 11, x. https:// doi.org/10.3390/xxxxx (Accepted).
53. Al Sabbah, H., Taha, Z., Qasrawi, R., Assaf, E. A., Cheikh Ismail, L., Al Dhaheri, A. S., Hoteit, M., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Tayyem, R., Bawadi, H., AlKhalaf, M., Bookari, K., Kamel, I., Dashti, S., Allehdan, S., Alalwan, T. A., Hammouh, F., Waly, M. I., Al-Halawa, D. A., Mansour, R., … The Regional Corona Cooking Survey Group (2022). The Impact of COVID-19 on Physical (In)Activity Behavior in 10 Arab Countries. International journal of environmental research and public health, 19(17), 10832. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph191710832.
54. Qasrawi, R., Amro, M., VicunaPolo, S., Abu Al-Halawa, D., Agha, H., Abu Seir, R., Hoteit, M., Hoteit, R., Allehdan, S., Behzad, N., Bookari, K., AlKhalaf, M., Al-Sabbah, H., Badran, E., & Tayyem, R. (2022). Machine learning techniques for predicting depression and anxiety in pregnant and postpartum women during the COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional regional study. F1000Research, 11, 390. https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.110090.1.
55. Al Sabbah, H., Assaf, E. A., Taha, Z., Qasrawi, R., Ismail, L. C., Al Dhaheri, A. S., Hoteit, M., Al-Jawaldeh, A., Tayyem, R., Bawadi, H., AlKhalaf, M., Bookari, K., Kamel, I., Dashti, S., Allehdan, S., Waly, M., Al-Halawa, D. A., Mansour, R., Ibrahim, M., & Al-Mannai, M. (2022). Impact of COVID-19 lockdown on smoking (waterpipe and cigarette) and participants' BMI across various sociodemographic groups in Arab countries in the Mediterranean Region. Tobacco induced diseases, 20, 98. https://doi.org/10.18332/tid/155007.
56. Chadia HADDAD, Sandrella Bou Malhab, Hala SACRE, Rasha THEBIAN3 Hassan SALAME4 Mira HLEYHEL1 Hussein HAMIEH3 Nazih Bou Chahine4, Maha HOTEIT3 Anwar Al Souheil3 Pascale SALAMEH1.The Effects of COVID-19 On The Quality of Life Among a Sample of The General Lebanese Population, 22 November 2021, PREPRINT (Version 1) available at Research Square [https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-1070681/v1]
57. Hoteit, M.; Mohsen, H.; Yazbeck, N.; Diab, S.; Sarkis, J.; Sacre, Y.; Hanna-Wakim, L.; Bookari, K. Household Food Insecurity, Anemia, Malnutrition and Unfavorable Dietary Diversity among Adolescents: Quadruple Whammies in the Era of Escalating Crises in Lebanon. Nutrients 2022, 13, x. https://doi.org/10.3390/xxxxx
58. Hoteit, M., Mohsen, H., Hanna-Wakim, L., & Sacre, Y. (2022). Parent's food literacy and adolescents nutrition literacy influence household's food security and adolescent's malnutrition and anemia: Findings from a national representative cross sectional study. Frontiers in nutrition, 9, 1053552. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.1053552
59. Al-Jawaldeh, A., Taktouk, M., Naalbandian, S., Aguenaou, H., Al Hamad, N., Almamary, S., Al-Tamimi, H. A., Alyafei, S. A., Barham, R., Hoteit, M., Hussain, M., Massad, H., & Nasreddine, L. (2022). Sugar Reduction Initiatives in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: A Systematic Review. Nutrients, 15(1), 55. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu15010055
60. Rouphael, M., Hojeij, B., Ezzedine, D., Mortada, H., Sacre, Y., Bitar, T., Naim, E., Hleihel, W., & Hoteit, M. (2023). Assessment of Feeding Behaviors and Parents' Frustrations of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder in Lebanon: A Case-Control Study. Children (Basel, Switzerland), 10(1), 117. https://doi.org/10.3390/children10010117
61. Daou, R., Hoteit, M., Bookari, K., Joubrane, K., Khabbaz, L. R., Ismail, A., Maroun, R. G., & El Khoury, A. (2023). Public health risk associated with the co-occurrence of aflatoxin B1 and ochratoxin A in spices, herbs, and nuts in Lebanon. Frontiers in public health, 10, 1072727. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2022.1072727
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:TeachingIn terms of teaching experience, I worked as an Assistant Professor at the Lebanese German University for the “Human Nutrition” and “Community Nutrition” courses in 2013- 2014 where I have earned experience in preparing lectures and supervising students. Also, between 2014-2016, I worked as lecturer for the “Research methodology” course in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at the Faculty of Pharmacy at the Saint Joseph University. Furthermore, at 2015, I joined the Lebanese International University as lecturer in Nutrition where I’ve been teaching « Human Nutrition » course. Since October 2013, I joined the Nutrition department at the Faculty of Public Health at the Lebanese university as coordinator of the master program of Public Health Nutrition and since then I taught all courses related to Nutrition including “Introduction to nutrition”, “nutrition during the lifecycle”, “foodservice management”, “Medical Nutrition Therapy I and III”, “Community nutrition”, “nutrition epidemiology”, “cooking arts”, “nutrition sensitive intervention”, “nutrigenetics”, “nutrition policies” and "Nutrition sensitive intervention” in addition to supervising graduate theses and capstone projects. The aforementioned courses have been continuously kept up to date in order to provide students with knowledge regarding the latest advances in the nutrition field. The graduate courses are the courses that I have extensively developed whereby changes were made to the syllabi as well as the course content. Throughout my teaching, I use active learning tools to accompany the power point presentations. These include jigsaw technique, group-based presentations, among others. Graduate students have been encouraged to undergo additional research work in order to ensure that the quality of the obtained results is suitable for publication and in the process having their names as co-authors on journal or abstract publications, whenever their research output is significant. In addition, I broadcast nutrition and food service-related movies to highlight and discuss the latest trends in today’s science. Finally, I invite guest speakers to share the latest advances in scientific research to ensure that students are up to date in the public health nutrition discipline.
Workshop and Conference Attended2022 Qatar university 1 st Annual Pediatric Nutrition Conference “Advances in Pediatric Nutrition and Healthy Lifestyle”2023 Paris Physical Activity chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.jfhod.com/sites/www.jfhod.com/files/2023-01/JFHOD23_programme_sp.pdf
AffiliationsLebanese universityAgence Universitaire de la Francophonie
Other AwardsOct 2022the 2022 L’Innovation Pédagogique Award from the Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)This award aims at evaluating individual and collective projects related to educational innovation in French-speaking higher education and scientific research institutions, as well as to encourage the dissemination of educational innovation projects in relation with Artificial intelligence and Nutrition. https://www.the961.com/lebanese-prof-maha-hoteit-2022-educational-innovation-award/