Elizabeth V. M. KigonduCountry of origin: Kenya Currently in: Kenya, Nairobi General field of specialization: Chemical Sciences
Degrees2015 Doctorate Chemical Sciences
Current Research Activities
Drug development from natural products Drug quality assurance. Activity studies of medicinal plants both in vitro and in vivo Safety studies of bio-active plants. Bio-assay guided fractionation and purification of compounds. Structure elucidation through elemental & spectroscopic analysis. Research in natural product chemistry and its pharmaceutical significance. Drug combination and interaction studies of synthetic and/or natural compounds. Nutrition studies on plants.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Elizabeth V. Mumbi Kigondu, Willie Njuguna, Phillip Ndemwa, Simon Mwangi, Peter G. Kirira, Lucia Keter, Peter G. Mwitari, Festus Tolo. Pyrethrins in soil and water from selected pyrethrum growing areas in nakuru county, Kenya. African Journal of Health Sciences. Vol. 31(2), pp 64-71, March 2019.
2. Elizabeth V. M. Kigondu, Moses K. Kamita, Elizabeth W. Njenga, James Wanga, Gabriel Amalemba, Esther N. Matu. In vivo antifertility and safety profiles of Kenyan Moringa oleifera Lam. (Moringaceae) extracts. African Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics Vol. 5(4), pp 212-220, December 2016.
3. Elizabeth M. Kigondu, Antonina Wasuna, Digby F. Warner, Kelly Chibale. Pharmacologically active metabolites, combination screening and target identification-driven drug repositioning in antituberculosis drug discovery. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. Vol. 22(16), pp 4453–4461, August 2014.
4. Elizabeth M. Kigondu, Mathew Njoroge, Kawaljit Singh, Nicholas Njuguna, Digby F. Warner, Kelly Chibale. Synthesis and synergistic antimycobacterial screening of chlorpromazine and its metabolites. Medicinal Chemistry Communication, Vol. 5, pp 502-506, January 2014.
5. Elizabeth V. M. Kigondu, G.M. Rukunga, J.W. Gathirwa, B.N. Irungu, N.M. Mwikwabe, G.M. Amalemba, S.A. Omar, P.G. Kirira. Antiplasmodial and cytotoxicity activities of some selected plants used by the Maasai community, Kenya. South African Journal of Botany. Vol. 77, pp 725-729, March 2011.
6. Elizabeth V. M. Kigondu, Geoffrey M. Rukunga, Joseph M. Keriko, Willy K. Tonui, Jeremiah W. Gathirwa, Peter G. Kirira, Beatrice N. Irungu, Johnston M. Igonga, Isaiah O. Ndiege. Anti-parasitic activity studies of some selected medicinal plants from Kenya. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Vol. 123(3): pp 504-509, June 2009.
7. Elvis K. Muthoni, Elizabeth M. Kigondu, Daniel Kiboi, Ibrahim N. Mwangi. Efficacy and safety of up-scaled dosage of 60mg/kg praziquantel in control of Schistosoma mansoni in school going children in Kirinyaga county, Kenya. International Journal of Tropical Disease & Health. Vol 33(4), pp 1-12, December 2018.
8. Ruth M. Nyangacha, Peter M. Mathiu, Moses Mwangi, Elizabeth V. M. Kigondu Antinociceptive effect of Pentas lanceolata and Ximenia americana medicinal plants used to treat malaria traditionally in Kenya. African Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Vol. 5(2), pp 87-92, July 2016.
9. Ken-Ichi Umehara, Markus Zollinger, Elizabeth Kigondu, Marc Witschi, Claire Juif, Felix Huth, Hilmar Schiller, Kelly Chibale, Gian Camenisch. Esterase phenotyping in human liver in vitro:specificity of carboxylesterase inhibitors. Xenobiotica. Early Online: 1–6, February 2016.
10. Charles K. Rotich, Ruth M. Nyangacha, Sabina W. Wachira, Moses M. Ngeiywa, Elizabeth V. M. Kigondu. Antimalarial activities and toxicity levels of selected medicinal plants used in Kenya. African Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Vol. 4(3), pp 92-100, August 2015.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchMember in the following committees: Ministry of Health (Kenya) – Technical Working Group for developing Health Performance Indicators Ministry of Health (Kenya) – Technical Working Group for developing traditional medicine policy document KEMRI’s Scientific and Ethical Review Unit (SERU) – Awarded a certificate and trophy for Best Reviewer 2015; Awarded a certificate of service 2014-2018. Publication Committee, KEMRI
AffiliationsChristian and Scientific Association of Kenya (CSAK)Schlumberger Foundation – Faculty for the FutureNatural Product of Eastern and Central Africa (NAPRECA-Kenya)
Other AwardsJan 2012 The South African Medical Research Council, the South African Research Chairs Initiative and Centers of Excellence Program of the Department of Science and Technology administered through the National Research Foundation National Research Foundation (SoPhD degree scholarshipJan 2014Faculty for the Future Fellowship, Schlumberger FoundationPhD degree scholarship