Membership type: full
PhD Fellowship Alumna
Catherine Kegakilwe KoofhethileCountry of origin: Botswana Currently in: United States, Boston General field of specialization: Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
PhD Fellowship Alumna
Degrees2016 Doctorate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Current Research Activities
Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Assessment of the HIV reservoir during long term antiretroviral therapy.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Undetectable proviral deoxyribonucleic acid in an adolescent perinatally infected with human immunodeficiency virus-1C and on long-term antiretroviral therapy resulted in viral rebound following antiretroviral therapy termination: A case report with implications for clinical care.
Koofhethile CK, Moyo S, Kotokwe KP, Mokgethi P, Muchoba L, Mokgweetsi S, Gaolathe T, Makhema J, Shapiro R, Lockman S, Kanki P, Essex M, Gaseitsiwe S, de Oliveira T, Novitsky V. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019 Nov;98(47):e18014. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000018014. PMID: 31764816 Free Article
2. CD8+ T Cell Breadth and Ex Vivo Virus Inhibition Capacity Distinguish between Viremic Controllers with and without Protective HLA Class I Alleles. Koofhethile CK, Ndhlovu ZM, Thobakgale-Tshabalala C, Prado JG, Ismail N, Mncube Z, Mkhize L, van der Stok M, Yende N, Walker BD, Goulder PJR, Ndung'u T. J Virol. 2016 Jul 11;90(15):6818-6831. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00276-16. Print 2016 Aug 1. PMID: 27194762 Free PMC Article
3. CD8+ TCR Bias and Immunodominance in HIV-1 Infection.
Kløverpris HN, McGregor R, McLaren JE, Ladell K, Harndahl M, Stryhn A, Carlson JM, Koofhethile C, Gerritsen B, Keşmir C, Chen F, Riddell L, Luzzi G, Leslie A, Walker BD, Ndung'u T, Buus S, Price DA, Goulder PJ. J Immunol. 2015 Jun 1;194(11):5329-45. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1400854. Epub 2015 Apr 24. PMID: 25911754 Free PMC Article
4. Programmed death-1 expression on HIV-1-specific CD8+ T cells is shaped by epitope specificity, T-cell receptor clonotype usage and antigen load. Kløverpris HN, McGregor R, McLaren JE, Ladell K, Stryhn A, Koofhethile C, Brener J, Chen F, Riddell L, Graziano L, Klenerman P, Leslie A, Buus S, Price DA, Goulder P. AIDS. 2014 Sep 10;28(14):2007-21.
PMID: 24906112 Free PMC Article
5. Differential escape patterns within the dominant HLA-B*57:03-restricted HIV Gag epitope reflect distinct clade-specific functional constraints. Payne RP, Branch S, Kløverpris H, Matthews PC, Koofhethile CK, Strong T, Adland E, Leitman E, Frater J, Ndung'u T, Hunter E, Haubrich R, Mothe B, Edwards A, Riddell L, Chen F, Harrigan PR, Brumme ZL, Mallal S, John M, Jooste JP, Shapiro R, Deeks SG, Walker BD, Brander C, Landis C, Carlson JM, Prado JG, Goulder PJ. J Virol. 2014 May;88(9):4668-78. doi: 10.1128/JVI.03303-13. Epub 2014 Feb 5. PMID: 24501417 Free PMC Article
6. Mosaic HIV-1 Gag antigens can be processed and presented to human HIV-specific CD8+ T cells.
Ndhlovu ZM, Piechocka-Trocha A, Vine S, McMullen A, Koofhethile KC, Goulder PJ, Ndung'u T, Barouch DH, Walker BD. J Immunol. 2011 Jun 15;186(12):6914-24. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1004231. Epub 2011 May 16. PMID: 21576505 Free PMC Article
7. HLArestrictor--a tool for patient-specific predictions of HLA restriction elements and optimal epitopes within peptides. Erup Larsen M, Kloverpris H, Stryhn A, Koofhethile CK, Sims S, Ndung'u T, Goulder P, Buus S, Nielsen M.
Immunogenetics. 2011 Jan;63(1):43-55. doi: 10.1007/s00251-010-0493-5. Epub 2010 Nov 16. PMID: 21079948
8. Prevalence and potential pathogenicity of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in Chinese mitten crabs (Eriocheir sinensis) harvested from the River Thames estuary, England. Wagley S, Koofhethile K, Rangdale R. J Food Prot. 2009 Jan;72(1):60-6. PMID: 19205465
9. Comparison of V. parahaemolyticus isolated from seafoods and cases of gastrointestinal disease in the UK.
Wagley S, Koofhethile K, Wing JB, Rangdale R. Int J Environ Health Res. 2008 Aug;18(4):283-93. doi: 10.1080/09603120801911064. PMID: 18668416
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchHIV Immunology, HIV reservoir
Workshop and Conference Attended2014 Durban, South Africa Biostatistics course2014 Maine, USA Gorgon Research Seminar- Immunobiology/Immunochemistry2013 Naple, Italy Advanced Vaccine course2013 Cape Town, South Africa Flow cytometry workshop2013 Pretoria, South Africa Scientific reading and writing, publishing course by OWSD2013 Barcelona, Spain AIDS Vaccine conference2014 Lindau, Germany 64th Lindau Noble laureates meeting Medicine/Physiology
Presentation given2014Reduction in the breadth of CD8+ T cell responses is associated with loss of virologic HIV control in individuals with protective HLA alleles.Cape Town, South AfricaEvent: HIV Research 4 Prevention conference (ORAL)2014Reduction in breadth and not polyfunctionality or proliferative capacity of CD8+ T cells is associated with loss of virologic HIV control in individuals with protective HLA alleles.Maine, USAEvent: Gordon Research Conference – Immunobiology/Immunochemistry (POSTER)2013Protective HLA alleles: Investigation of viral control and lack of control in chronic HIV-1 subtype C infection.Cape Town, South AfricaEvent: 4th Infectious Diseases in Africa Symposium (POSTER AND ORAL)2013Protective HLA alleles: Investigation of viral control and lack of control in chronic HIV-1 subtype C infection.Durban, South AfricaEvent: SA AIDS conference (POSTER)2013Protective HLA alleles: Investigation of viral control and lack of control in chronic HIV-1 subtype C infection.Colorado, USAEvent: Keystone HIV Immune Activation Conference (POSTER)2014Event: UKZN- Laboratory Medicine and Medical Sciences Reserch Symposium (ORAL)
Other AwardsOct 2010OWSD PhD FellowshipPhD fellowshipDec 2016African-German Network of Excellence in Science (AGNES) Junior ResearcherAfrican-German Network of Excellence in Science (AGNES) Junior Researcher
Fellowship with OWSD
Fellowship with OWSD
Fellowship awarded 2010
Early Career Fellowship awarded 2020
PHD Graduation 2016