Soraya MalingaCountry of origin: Swaziland Currently in: South Africa, Johannesburg General field of specialization: Chemical Sciences
Degrees2013 Doctorate Chemical Sciences2007 Master Chemical Sciences2003 Undergraduate Chemical Sciences
Current Research Activities
The main focus of my research is the development of new reactive membranes which are embedded with materials such as dendrimers, hyperbranched polymers and nanoparticles. These reactive membranes are evaluated in the removal of various pollutants such as humic acid and chlorinated organic pollutants.
Publications resulting from Research:
1)LN Nthunya, ML Masheane, SP Malinga, TG Barnard, EN Nxumalo, BB Mamba, SD Mhlanga. UV-assisted reduction of in-situ electrospun antibacterial
chitosan-based nanofibres for removal of bacteria from water. RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 95936.
2) ML Masheane, LN Nthunya, SP Malinga, EN Nxumalo, SD Mhlanga. Chitosan-based nanocomposites for de-nitrification of water Journal: Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2016.10.004
3) SS Sambaza, ML Masheane, SP Malinga, EN Nxumalo, SD Mhlanga. Polyethyleneimine-carbon nanotube polymeric nanocomposite
adsorbents for the removal of Cr6+ from water. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2016.08.002.
4) SP Malinga, OA Arotiba, RW Krause, SF Mapolie, MS Diallo, BB Mamba. Cyclodextrin-dendrimer functionalised polysulfone membrane for the removal of humic acid in water. Applied Polymer Science, 130,2013, 4428-4439.
5) SP Malinga, OA Arotiba, RW Krause, SF Mapolie, MS Diallo, BB Mamba. Nanostructured β-cyclodextrin-hyperbranched polyethyleneimine (β-CD-HPEI) embedded on polysulfone membrane for the removal of humic acid from water. Separation Science and Technology, 2013, 48:18, 2724-2734.
6) SP Malinga, OA Arotiba, RW Krause, SF Mapolie, M Diallo, BB Mamba. Composite polyester membranes with embedded dendrimer hosts and bimetallic Fe/Ni nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterisation and application to water treatment. Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 15, 2013, 1968.
7) SP Malinga, OA Arotiba, RW Krause, SF Mapolie, BB Mamba. Synthesis and characterisation of generation 2 and 3 poly(propylene imine) dendrimer capped Ni-Fe nanoalloy. Materials Letters, 68 2012, 324-326.
8) BB Mamba, RW Krause, TJ Malefetse, SP Sithole. Cyclodextrin nanosponges in the removal of organic matter for ultra pure water in power generation. Journal for water supply: Research and technology-AQUA, 58.4, 2009, 299-304.
9) BB Mamba, RW Krause, TJ Malefetse, SP Sithole, TI Nkambule. Humic acid as a model for Natural Organic matter (NOM) in the removal of odorants from water by cyclodextrin polymers. Water SA, 35, 2009, 117-120.
10) BB Mamba, RW Krause, TJ Malefetse, SP Sithole. Cyclodextrin nanosponges in the removal of organic matter to produce water for power generation. Water SA, 34, 2009, 657-660.
11) BB Mamba, RW Krause, TJ Malefetse, SP Sithole. Degradation studies of β-cyclodextrin polyurethane polymers using soil burial experiments. South African Journal of Chemistry, 61, 2008, 133-140.
12)BB Mamba, RW Krause, TJ Malefetse, SD Mhlanga, SP Sithole and EN Nxumalo. Removal of Geosmin and 2-Methylisoborneol (2-MIB) in water from Zuikerbosch Treatment Plant (Rand Water) using β-cyclodextrin polyurethanes. Water SA, 33, 2007, 223-228.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchTeachingI currently teach general chemistry and I am involved in the supervision of four masters students. My project is funded by three water researach bodied i.e. water research commission, National research foundation (Thuthuka) and ESKOM TESP funding.
AffiliationsWISASACIAfrican Membrane Society
Presentation given2016Biodegradation of selected organic pollutants on an enzyme modified nanocomposite membrane towards water treatment”MaritiusEvent: International Conference on Pure and Applied Chemistry2016Nanostructured Membranes Embedded With Hyperbranched Polyethyleneimine and Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles for Water Purification. WISA Biennial ConferenceDurbanEvent: WISA Biennial conference2016Synthesis of Fe-Ag/f-MWCNTs/polyethersulphone (PES) blend membranes for use in drinking water purification.DurbanEvent: WISA Biennial conference2016Synthesis of electrospun biodegradable antibacterial chitosan nanofiltration materials for use in drinking water purificationDurban South africaEvent: WISA Biennial Conference