Egobude Uluakanwa OkonkwoCountry of origin: Nigeria Currently in: Nigeria, Lagos General field of specialization: Agricultural Sciences
Degrees1985 Master Agricultural Sciences
Current Research Activities
Mandate of the Institute is research into bulk storage and processing of all agricultural crops in addition to surveys on contaminants and studies of stored products pest. Capacity building of all relevant stakeholders in postharvest value chain and agribusiness. Prevention of postharvest losses and pest management.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Okonkwo, E.U., Osegbo, A.N., Omodara, M.A., Ogundare, M.O., Abel, G.I., Nwaubani, S.I., Otitodun, G.O., Atibioke, O.A., Olagunju, O.D. and Peters, O. (2018). Evaluation of four variant diatomaceous earth and commercial DE insecto against Callosobruchus maculatus F. (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) on two varieties of stored Cowpea in Nigeria. Journal of Stored Products and Postharvest Research, Vol. 9 (8), pp. 87-97. Retrievable at http://www.academicjournals.org
2. Egobude U. Okonkwo*, Samuel I. Nwaubani, Olufunke G. Otitodun, Moses O. Ogundare, Georgina V. Bingham, Joshua O. Odhiambo and Joseph O. Williams (2017). Evaluation of efficacy of a long lasting insecticide incorporated polypropylene bag as stored grain protectant against insect pests on cowpea and maize. Journal of Stored Products and Postharvest Research, Vol. 8(1), pp. 1-10. Retrievable at http://www.academicjournals.org. DOI: 10.5897/JSPPR2016.0207
3. G.O. Otitodun, G.P. Opit, S.I. Nwaubani, E.U. Okonkwo and S.G. Gautam (2015).
Efficacy of Nigeria-Derived Diatomaceous Earth, Botanicals and Riverbed Sand against Sitophilus oryzae and Rhyzopertha dominica on Wheat. African Crop Science Journal, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 279 – 293.
4. Okonkwo, Ego. U., Arowora, Kayode A., Ogundele, Bukola A., Omodara, Ayo. M. and
Afolayan, Sunday S. (2012). Storability and quality assessment of palm oil in different packaging containers in Nigeria. Journal of Stored Products Postharvest Research 3(13): 177-179. Dec. 2012.
5. Okonkwo, Ego. U. and Ozioma N. Ubani (2012). The Application of HACCP to Postharvest Processing of African Breadfruit Treculia africana Decne in Nigeria. African Journal of Agricultural Research 7(32): 4536-4539, 21 August, 2012. Available online at http:/www.academicjournals.org/ajar
6. Ubani, Ozioma N. and Okonkwo, Ego. U. (2011). A review of shelf-life extension studies of Nigerian indigenous fresh fruits and vegetables in the Nigerian Stored Products Research Institute. Journal of Agricultural Plant Science 5(10):537-546, 27 Sept. 2011. Available online at http:/www.academicjournals.org/ajps.
7. Okonkwo, Ego. U. (2011). Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points in Palm Oil Processing in Anambra State, Nigeria. African Journal of Agricultural Research 6(2): 244-247, 18 January 2011. Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJAR.
8. Okonkwo, Ego. U. (2004). A Review of plant materials used for controlling insect pests of stored products in Nigeria. Part 1: Families: Annonnaceae, Piperaceae and Rutaceae. Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants Vol. 11 (1&2): 47 – 69.
9. Okonkwo, E. U. and Okoye, W. I. (1996). The efficacy of four seed powders and the essential oils as protectants of cowpea and maize grains against infestations by Callosbruchus maculatus (F.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) and Sitophilus zeamais (Motsch.) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in Nigeria. International Journal of Pest Management. 42(3): 143-146.
10. Okonkwo, E. U. and Okoye, W. I. (1992). The control of Callosobruchus maculatus (F.) in stored cowpea with dried ground Ricinus communis (L) leaves in Nigeria. Tropical Pest Management. 38(3): 237-238.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchAdministrationPrevention of postharvest losses in Nigerian Food Crops Capacity building in Empowerment of stakeholders- Farmers, processors, handlers, transporters, marketers, entrepreneurs in agribusiness and agro industries in technologies developed by Nigerian Stored Products Research Institute (NSPRI).