Membership type: full
Fatsuma OlaleruCountry of origin: Nigeria Currently in: Nigeria, Lagos General field of specialization: Biological Systems and Organisms
Degrees2016 Doctorate Agricultural Sciences1995 Master Agricultural Sciences
Current Research Activities
Biological Systems and Organisms
Conservation of urban wildlife, Human-monkey conflicts in urban landscapes.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Olaleru, F., Onadeko, A.B., Ogunjemite, B.G., Egonmwan, R.I. and Lambert, J.E. (2020). Diet and nutritional profile of the mona monkey (Cercopithecus mona, Schreber, 1774) in Okomu National Park, Nigeria: Preliminary Study. African Primates, 14: 1-10.
2. Akinsanya, B., Olaleru, F., Samuel, O.B., Akeredolu, E., Isibor, P.O., Adeniran, O.S., Saliu, J.K. and Akhiromen, D.I. (2020). Bioaccumulation of Organochlorine Pesticides, Procamallanus sp. (Baylis, 1923) infections, and Microbial Colonization in African Snakehead fish Sampled from Lekki Lagoon, Lagos, Nigeria. Brazilian Journal of Biology, https://doi.org/10.1590/1519-6984.237312.
3. Isibor, P.O., Akeredolu, E., Samuel, O.B., Abayomi, A., Olaleru, F., Akinsanya, B., Emezie, P., Are, F.N. and Saliu, J.K. (2020). Comparative Bioaccumulation of PAH and BTEX in Malapterurus electricus (Siluriformes: Malapteruridae) and its Enteric Parasite, Electrotaenia malopteruri Sampled from Lekki Lagoon, Lagos, Nigeria. Brazilian Journal of Biology, https://doi.org/10.1590/1519-6984.236827.
4. Olaleru, F., Olugbebi, T.R., Fasona, M.I. (2020). Morphological Studies on the Guard Hair of the Mona Monkey (Cercopithecus mona) in Omo-Shasha-Oluwa Forest Reserves of Southwest Nigeria. Egyptian Academic Journal of Biological Sciences B. Zoology, 12(2): 15-23.
5. Akinsanya, B., Isibor, P.O., Olaleru, F., Abayomi, A., Akeredolu, E., Ohazulike, M.I. and Saliu, J.K. (2020). Bioaccumulation of Pyrethroid in Parasite Wenyonia acuminata (Cestoda: Caryophyllaeidae) and Host fish Synodontis clarias (Linnaeus, 1758) from Lekki Lagoon, Lagos Nigeria. Brazilian Journal of Biology, https://doi.org/10.1590/1519-6984.236427
6. Olaleru, F., Ogunjemite, B.G., Onadeko, A.B., and Egonmwan, R.I. (2018). Seasonal availability and nutrient contents of mona monkey (Cercopithecus mona, Schreber, 1774) plant diets in Lekki Conservation Centre, Nigeria. Munis Entomology and Zoology, 13 (2): 574-582.
7. Olaleru, F. and Odeigah, P.G.H. (2015). Effects of energy drink on sperm morphology, haematological parametres and behaviour of adult male mice. Annual Research and Review in Biology: 288-296.
8. Olaleru, F. and Egonmwan, R.I. (2014). Wildlife conservation challenges in Okomu National Park, Nigeria. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management, 7 (6): 670-676.
9. Onadeko, A.B., Olaleru, F. and Bada, O. (2014). The distribution of mona monkeys (Cercopithecus mona, Schreber, 1774) in the University of Lagos campus, Akoka, Lagos. Ethiopian Journal of Biological Sciences, 13 (1): 51-58.
10. Olaleru, F. and Omotosho O.O. (2020). Human-monkey conflict in and around Lekki Conservation Centre, Lagos, Nigiera. Journal of Research in Forestry, Wildlife & Environment, 12(4): 54-65.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:TeachingI teach undergraduate and masters students in different Zoology and conservation courses. At the undergraduate level, these courses include Introductory Zoology, General Zoology, Animal Histology, Comparative Animal Embryology, Animal Behaviour, Zoogeography, Animal Breeding and Husbandry and Conservation Biology. At the masters' level, I teach Biological Resources and Convention on Biological Diversity. I supervise students' seminar and Projects at both undergraduate and masters' level. I take these students for field trips in National Parks or other conservation areas. I am member of several professional bodies locally and internationally. These include the Nigeria Chapter of Society for Conservation Biology, Nigeria Tropical Biology Association (as the current President), Zoological Society of Nigeria, Nigeria Conservation Foundation, Centre for Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management (as the Treasurer), and the Society for Conservation Biology (SCB). I review abstracts/articles for Conference Book of Proceedings for these societies, and Academic Journals. I was the Chair for Young Women in Conservation Biology Africa Section of SCB (2014-2018).
Workshop and Conference AttendedJuly, October, November, 2020 Online, Zoom Trainings on Building a Better Fieldwork Future: Preventing Sexual Harassment and Assault in Field Settings, organised by University of California Santa Cruz31st January, 2020 MTN E-Library, University of Lagos, Nigeria 5. One-day ELSIVIER Training on Publishing in high Impact Factor Journals26th - 31st July, 2020 Virtual North American Congress for Conservation Biology 202021st - 25th July, 2019 Kuala Lumpur Conference Centre, Malaysia 29th International Congress for Conservation Biology
AffiliationsNigeria Conservation FoundationNigeria Tropical Biology AssociationSociety for Conservation Biology
Presentation givenLand Use Changes and Mona Monkeys (Cercopithecus mona) Population and Conservation in Ibeshe, Ikorodu, Lagos State, NigeriaEvent:2014Feeding ecology and seasonal food availability of Mona monkey (Cercopithecus mona) in a private Strict Nature Reserve in Lagos, Nigeria.University of Montana, Missoula, Montana, USA.Event: 2nd North America Congress for Conservation Biology
Other AwardsJul 2019Travel grants from SCB to attend 29th and 27th International Congress for Conservation Biology in Malaysia and France respectivelyThis award was to enable me attend and make my Oral and Poster presentations respectively at the International Congress for Conservation Biology in Malaysia and France.Apr 2019Award of Service from Nigeria Tropical Biology Association (NTBA).This award was given to me to acknowledge the service rendered between 2013-2018 as Deputy DRECA Coordinator.Sep 2013Exceptional oral presentation prizes of the NTBA in 2013 and 2012 ConferencesThis award was to recognise and encourage student presenters that made exceptional presentations during the conference and seminar of the NTBA respectively held at the University of Lagos and University of Ibadan.