Membership type: full
Oluwatoyin Folake OlukunleCountry of origin: Nigeria Currently in: Nigeria, Akure General field of specialization: Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Degrees2012 Doctorate Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Current Research Activities
Bioremediation; Biofuel/Biogas production; Waste water treatment ; and Waste generation.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Boboye, B. and Olukunle, O. F. (2008). The Application of Genetics and Molecular Biology to Industrial Microorganisms, Particularly Bacteria, Journal od Pure and Applied Microbiology, 2(2): 271 – 282
2. Ekundayo, F. O., Olukunle, O. F. and Ekundayo, E. A. (2012). Biodegradation of Bonnylight Crude Oil by Locally Isolated Fungi from Oil Contaminated Soils in Akure, Ondo State. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 8(1): 42 – 46.
3. Olukunle O. F. and Boboye, B. (2012) Phylogenetic Analysis of Oil–degrading Bacteria Associated with Polluted Sites in River State, Nigeria. Archives of Applied Science Research, 4(4): 1600 – 1608.
4. Olukunle, O. F. and Boboye, B. (2013). The Molecular Succession of Bacterial Community of Crude Oil Polluted Soil and Water Samples from the Niger Delta, Nigeria. British Journal of Applied Science and Technology 3(4): 777-788.
5. Olukunle, O. F., Babajide O. and Boboye, B. (2015). Effects of Temperature and pH on the Activities of Catechol 2, 3-dioxygenase Obtained from Crude Oil Contaminated Soil in Ilaje, Ondo State, Nigeria. The Open Microbiology Journal, 9: 84-90.
6. Olukunle, O.F. and Ajayi O.E (2018). Screening of Wild and Mutant Strains of Fungal Isolates from Plantain Stalks for Amylase Production. Jordan Journal of Biological Sciences, 11(5): 557 – 562.
7. Olukunle,O. F., Umar, O. K and Oriola, O. B. (2019). Antimicrobial Properties of Cooked African Locust Beans (Parkia biglobosa) Effluent with and without Its Chaff. Microbiology Research Journal International 27(4): 1-9.
8. Olukunle, O. F. (2019). Molecular Identification of Crude Oil-Degrading Bacteria and Screening for Catechol 2, 3 Dioxygenase (C23O) Gene. Biotechnology Journal International 23(4): 1-14.
9. Olotu, E. J. and Olukunle, O. F. (2019). Production of Bioethanol from Selected Lignocellulosic Agrowastes. Journal of Advances in Biology & Biotechnology 21(2): 1-17.
10. Fayemi, S. O, Boboye, B. and Olukunle O. F. (2019). Isolation, Identification and Screening of Halophilic Bacteria for Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) in Hypersaline Lagos Water Body, Nigeria. International Journal Advanced Research 7(11): 470-481.
Current professionI'm involved in teaching these courses in my University: First Semester: Basic Calculations in Biotechnology (BTH 301), Practical Biotechnology (BTH 303), Practical Biotechnology) BTH 505), Research Methodology in Biotechnology (BTH 507) and Bioinformatics (BTH 509); and Second Semester: Introductory Biotechnology 1I (BTH 102), Microbial Biotechnology (BTH 302) and Genetic Engineering (BTH 304).
Workshop and Conference Attended2010 University of Western Cape, South Africa Introductory Phylogenetics Workshop organized by Inqaba Biotech in collaboration with the University of Western Cape, South Africa .2011 Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria. Training Course in Basic Techniques in Modern Biotechnology organized by the Institutional Biosafety Committee, Federal University of Technology (FUTA) in collaboration with Biotechnology Centre, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (UAAB)2015 Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria. Workshop on Laboratory Methods and Analysis of Soil, Fertilizer and Crops2018 University of Pretoria, South Africa Research Training in Modern Biotechnology at the Centre for Microbial Ecology and Genomics (CMEG),
Presentation given2013.Effects of crude oil on the microbial and physicochemical characteristics of agricultural soil grown with Vigna unguiculata and Ammaranthus sp.Stuttgart, GermanyEvent: Tropentag 20132016.Molecular Screening for Crude Oil-degrading Bacteria for Catechol 2, 3 Dioxygenase Gene.KuwaitEvent: OWSD 5th General Assembly and International Conference on Women in Science and Technology for the Developing World2018.Screening of Wild and Mutant Strains of Fungal Isolates from Plantain (Musa paradisiaca) Stalks for Amylase Production.Johannesburg, South AfricaEvent: 2nd International Women in science without Borders (WISWB) Indaba
Other AwardsJan 2004Commonwealth FCO/Chevening ScholarshipCommonwealth FCO/Chevening Scholarship Award was given to enable me take some courses in Human Resource Management as an Administrative Officer in the University before I joined the academics. The award was tenable at the University of Westminster, London, United Kingdom between 2004 and 2005.Jan 2010Third World Organization for Women in Sciences (TWOWS)The TWOWS award was tenable at the Institute of Microbial Biotechnology and Metagenomics, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa for a sandwich fellowship during my Ph.D research work.May 2016OWSD Fifth General Assembly and International Conference at Kuwait.Travel grant was awarded to enable me present a paper titled 'Molecular Screening for Crude Oil-degrading Bacteria for Catechol 2, 3 Dioxygenase Gene.' at the OWSD 5th General Assembly and International Conference on Women in Science and Technology for the Developing World held in Kuwait between 16th and 19th May, 2016.Mar 2013(v) TETFUND National Research Fund (NRF) Nigeria.I was part of Prof. S. A. Ola’s Research Group of the Federal University of Technology, Akure referenced TETF/ES/NRF/013/VOL. I that received the TETFUND for the Research Project titled “Site Remediation in Nigeria: Proven and Innovative Technologies, Recovery of Free Hydrocarbon from Soil/Groundwater”.Jan 2020TETFUND National Research Fund (NRF) Nigeria.I'm part of Dr. (Mrs) F. M. Olajuyigbe’s Research Group of the Federal University of Technology, Akure referenced TETF/ES/NRF/013/VOL. I that received the TETFUND for the Research Project titled “Immobilization of Microbes and Enzymes: Innovative Technique for Remediation of Water Contaminated with Bisphenol A, F and S”.