Tabassum MumtazCountry of origin: Bangladesh Currently in: Bangladesh, Dhaka General field of specialization: Agricultural Sciences
PhD Fellowship Alumna OWSD Award
Degrees2011 Doctorate Agricultural Sciences
Current Research Activities
I would like to see myself in a scientific atmosphere where I could design, develop and deliver research program in the field of Biological Science. My area of research interests are Bioconversion of waste/biomass (Biopolymer, biohydrogen), Biodegradation, bioremediation & fermentation technology.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Nabilah Aminah Lutpi, Jamaliah Md Jahim, Tabassum Mumtaz, Peer Mohamed Abdul and Mohd Tusirin Mohd Nor. 2015. Physicochemical characteristics of attached biofilm on granular activated carbon for thermophilic biohydrogen production. RSC Advances 5:19382-19392, ISI, IF-3.708.
2. Mohammad Omar Faurk, Tabassum Mumtaz and Harun-Or-Rashid. 2014. Supplementary Effect of Potato Peel Hydrolysate on the Citric Acid Production by Aspergillus niger CA16. Biotechnology -An Indian Journal. 9(8):308-310.
3. Nazlina Haiza Mohd Yasin, Tabassum Mumtaz, Mohd Ali Hassan and Nor’Aini Abd Rahman. 2013.Food waste and food processing Waste for biohydrogen production: A review". Journal of Environmental Management 130(2013):375-385, ISI, IF- 3.057.
4. Zinat Mahal, Tanzir Ahmed, Abdullah Al Mahin, Md. Shahdat Hossain, Harun-Or-Rashid and Tabassum Mumtaz. 2013. Use of Pleurotus sajor-caju in upgrading green jute plant and jute stick as ruminant feed. Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology 2(2):101-107.
5. Md. Al Arif Kabir, Mohammad Omar Faruk, Tabassum Mumtaz, Md.Kamruzzaman Pramanik and Harun-or-Rashid 2013. Radiosterilisation of cotton based product for the improvement of microbiological quality. Research & Reviews in BioSciences 7(1): 36-40.
6. Zatilfarihiah, Rasdi, Tabassum Mumtaz, Nor’Aini Abdul Rahman and Mohd Ali Hassan. Kinetic analysis of biohydrogen production from anaerobically treated POME in 2L bioreactor under optimized condition. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 3 7 (2 0 1 2): 17724-17730, ISI, IF-4.053.
7. Yee L, Tabassum Mumtaz, Mohammadi M, Phang LY, Ando Y, Raha AR, Sudesh K, Ariffin H and Hassan MA. 2012. Polyhydroxyalkanoates synthesis by recombinant Escherichiacoli JM109 expressing PHA biosynthesis genes from Comamonas sp EB172, Journal of Microbial & Biochemical Technology 4: 103-110, ISI, IF-2.04
8. Mitra Mohammadi, Mohd Ali Hassan, Yoshihito Shirai, Hasfalina Che Man, Hidayah Ariffin, Lian-Ngit Yee, Tabassum Mumtaz, Mei-Ling Chong, Lai-Yee Phang. 2012. Separation and purification of Polyhydroxyalkanoates from newly isolated Comamonas sp. EB172 by simple digestion with sodium hydroxide. Separation Science and Technology 47:3, 534-541, IF-1.015, ISI.
9. Farah Nadia Omar, Nor’Aini Abdul Rahman, Halimatun Saadiah Hafid, Tabassum Mumtaz, Phang Lai Yee and Mohd Ali Hassan, 2011, ‘Utilization of kitchen waste for the production of green thermoplastic PHB by Cupriavidus necator CCGUG 52238. African Journal of Microbiology Research 5(12)2873- 2879, 23 September, 2011 ISI, IF-0.528
10. Tabassum Mumtaz, Abd-Aziz, S, Nor’Aini, A.R, Yee, P.L, Wasoh, H., Shirai, Y and Hassan, M.A.2011, visualisation of core-shell PHBV granules of wild type Comamonas sp. EB172 in vivo under transmission electron microscope. International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization16:228-238. ISI, IF-0.814.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:Research-Microbiological quality determination of food, feed, water and beverages of different companies - Optimization of radiation doses for sterilization of medical products - Control of pathogenic microbes of public health concern in food and environment using radiation, heat, low temperature and their combination -Carry out research programmes according to BAEC perspective plan on bioconversion, biodegradation etc. - Publication in technical, annual reports/scientific journals/bulletin; - Guiding undergraduates for final year project papers and MS students with thesis.
OWSD AwardsFeb 2019OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Award for Early Career Women ScientistsFor her work on bioconversion of waste byproducts and biomass into more environmentally-friendly compounds.
Fellowship with OWSD
Fellowship with OWSD
Fellowship awarded 2003