Membership type: full
Champika Ellawala KankanamgeCountry of origin: Sri Lanka Currently in: Sri Lanka, Galle General field of specialization: Engineering sciences
Degrees2011 Doctorate Engineering sciences
Current Research Activities
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Kankanamge, C.E., Matheson, F.E. and Riis, T. (2019). Shading constrains the growth of invasive submerged macrophytes in streams. Aquatic Botany [Preprint]. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2019.06.004
2. Harris, J.M., Vinobaba, P., Kularatne, R.K.A. and Kankanamge, C.E. (2018). Heavy metal bioaccumulation and Fulton’s K condition indices in Scylla serrata (Forskål) in relation to sex. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 16(1), 201-210.
3. Harris, J.M., Vinobaba, P., Kularatne, R.K.A. and Kankanamge, C.E. (2018). An assessment of heavy metal levels in brackish water shrimps: Impact on sexes and the relationship between metal pollution index and Fulton's K condition indices. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment: An International Journal.
4. Kankanamge, C.E. and Kodithuwakku, H. (2017). Effect of interspecific competition on the growth and nutrient uptake of three macrophytes in nutrient-rich water. Aquatic Ecology, 51(4), pp.625-634.
5. Kularatne, R.K.A., Harris, J.M., Vinobaba, P. and Kankanamge, C.E. (2017). Bio-transfer factors and temporal variation of heavy metals in different sexes of three species of edible brackish water fish. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(22), pp.18680-18690.
6. Ellawala, K.C. and Priyankara, D.P.M.P. (2016). Consumer satisfaction on quantity and quality of water supply: a study in Matara, Southern Sri Lanka. Water Practice and Technology, 11(3), pp.678-689.
7. Harris, J.M., Vinobaba, P., Kularatne, R.K.A. and Ellawala K.C. (2016). Spatial and temporal distribution of cyanobacteria in Batticaloa Lagoon. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 47, pp.211-218.
8. Ranawakage, V.P., Ellawala, K.C. and Chaminda, G.G.T. (2013). Preliminary study on the influence of water level on the growth and morphology of Limnocharis flava(L.) Buchenau. Annales de Limnologie - International Journal of Limnology, 49(4), pp.249-254.
9. Ellawala, C., Asaeda, T. and Kawamura, K. (2013). Water movement induced variations in growth regulation and metabolism of freshwater macrophyte Vallisneria spiralis L. in early growth stages. Hydrobiologia, 709(1), pp.173-182.
10. Ellawala, C., Asaeda, T. and Kawamura, K. (2011). Influence of flow turbulence on growth and indole acetic acid and H2O2 metabolism of three aquatic macrophyte species. Aquatic Ecology, 45(3), pp.417-426.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchTeachingSenior Lecturer - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Ruhuna
AffiliationsInstitution of Engineers Sri Lanka
OWSD AwardsFeb 2020OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Award for Early Career Women ScientistsFor her work on ecosystem conservation and pollution control. Her research will help develop methods to control invasive aquatic plants in river ecosystems, by restoring shade and encouraging the natural resistance of native plants to invasive species.
Other AwardsSep 2013Presidents’ Awards for Scientific PublicationAwarded by The national Research Council, Sri LankaNov 2023