Hazir Farouk Abdelraheem ElhajCountry of origin: Sudan Currently in: Sudan, Khartoum General field of specialization: Engineering sciences
Early Career Fellowship
Degrees2013 Doctorate Engineering sciences
Current Research Activities
I am active in promoting the development of bioenergy technologies as part of the way that Sudan can reduce reliance on fossil fuels for power production, transport, and for alternatives for buying wood and charcoal for cooking in the rural households.
Publications resulting from Research:
Selected Journal Papers and Scientific Reports:
- Abdul Rahim, N.; Jaafar, MNM; Sapee. S; and Farouk, H. (2018). Emissions of Jatropha oil-derived biodiesel blend fuels during combustion in a swirl burner. OP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ, 136(1), 1-8.
- Al-Samaraae, R.; Atabani, A.E.; Uguz, G.; Kumar, G.; Arpa, O.; Ayanoglu, A.; Mohammed, M.; and Farouk, H. (2017). Perspective of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius) as a potential biodiesel feedstock in Turkey: characterization, engine performance and emissions analyses of butanol-biodiesel-diesel blends. Biofuels,1-17.
- Farouk, H.; Zahraee, S.M.; Atabani, A.E.; Jaafar, MNM; and Alhassan, F. (2017). Optimization of the Esterification Process of Crude Jatropha Oil (CJO) Containing High Levels of Free Fatty Acids: A Malaysian case study. Biofuels, 1-8.
- Farouk, H. and Jaafar, MNM. (2017). ‘Engine Performance and Exhaust Emission Analysis of Biodiesel Produced from Crude Jatropha Oil. International Journal of Advanced Thermo-fluid Research, 3(1) 30-40.
- Farouk, H. Lang, A.; Elobaid, M.; Salah, M.; Abdelazim, O. and Bakheet, Kh. (2017). Design of household anaerobic digester for rural areas in Sudan. International Journal of Energy Applications and Technologies, 4(2), 53-63.
- Abdul Rahim, N.; Jaafar, MNM; Sapee, S. and Farouk, H. (2016). Effect on particulate and gas emissions by combusting biodiesel blend fuels made from different plant oil feedstocks in a liquid fuel burner. Energies, 9(8), 1-18.
- Farouk, H.; Husien, H.; Ali, H. and Osama, S. (2016). Production and Analysis of Characteristics of Biodiesel Produced from Waste Cooking Oil. University of Khartoum Engineering Journal (UofKEJ), 6(2), 14-21.
- Farouk, H.; Jaafar, MNM. and Atabani, A.E. (2014). A Study of Biodiesel Production from Crude Jatropha Oil (CJO) with High Level of Free Fatty Acids. Jurnal Teknologi, 69(3) 65-72.
- Lang, A. and Farouk, H. (2014). The worldwide production of bio-jet fuels (The current developments regarding technologies and feedstocks, innovative new R&D developments, and the potential for Sudan). Sponsored by ARC-Sudan.
- Lang, A. and Farouk, H. (2013). Jatropha oil production for biodiesel and other products-a study of issues involved in production at large scale. Sponsored by ARC-Sudan.
- Sapee, S.; Fitri, A.; Jaafar, MNM; Mamat, R.; Ibrahim, W.A.; Farouk, H., Abdul Rahim, N.; Syafira, I.; Syahiran M.; and Bo. Z. (2018). Synthesis of non-edible biodiesel from crude jatropha oil and used cooking oil. MATEC Web of Conferences 225, 06008 (2018). DOI: 10.1051/matecconf/201822506008
- Farouk, H. (2016). Developing Bankable Biomass-to- Energy Projects across Africa. The 6th International 100% Renewable Energy Conference (IRENEC 2016). May 2016, Maltepe-Istanbul, Turkey.
- Farouk, H. and Lang, A. (2015). Developing a new Approach for Anaerobic Digestion at Large and Small Scale in Sudan. The 5th International 100% Renewable Energy Conference (IRENEC 2015), Maltepe, Istanbul-Turkey.
- Farouk, H. and Lang, A. (2014). Production of Transport Biofuels in Sudan for Replacement of Petroleum Fuels: The Fundamental Issues. Liquid Biofuels Conference, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Farouk, H. (2014). Development of a Biofuels Roadmap for Sudan, and the existing solid basis for an expanded biofuels production. World Bioenergy 2014 Conference and Exhibition on Biomass for Energy, Jonkoping, Sweden.
- Farouk, H.; Lang, A.; and Elhadi, M.A. (2013). Jatropha Curcas: A Viable Alternative Source of Clean Energy to Meet Sudan’s Growing Energy Demand. ICCEEE Conference. 287-293. Khartoum-Sudan. 10.1109/ICCEEE.2013.6633949.
- Farouk, H. (2013). Using pelletized biofuel residues as a cooking fuel. World Sustainable Energy Days (WSED). Wels-Austria.
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:ResearchA visiting researcher at Hamad Bin Khalifa University, conducting a research that aims to develop a holistic program for Sudan for development of sustainable cost-competitive bioenergy options for all three forms of energy (heat/cooling, power, transport fuel) utilizing the presently almost entirely unutilised forms of biomass that are sustainably and economically available in the country.
AffiliationsWorld Bioenergy Association
Other AwardsMar 2020IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programmeA programme for early-career female researchers from the least developed member countries of the Islamic Development Bank. The fellowship supports research related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, providing recipients with high-level training at centres of excellence in developing countries in areas relevant to sustainability science.Nov 2018TWAS-Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Prizehttps://twas.org/article/elhaj-wins-2018-twas-samira-omar-prizeOct 2018Brain Storming PresentationAt the 1st International Conference on Water Resources and Sustainability (ICWRS) & 3rd International Conference on Alternative Fuels, Energy and Environment (ICAFEE): Future and Challenges. Nanjing, China.Dec 2016Outstanding Program CoordinatorFor coordinating the training programmes conducted by University Technology Malaysia (UTM) for Sudanese Universities Staff.