Ifeoma Irene IjehCountry of origin: Nigeria Currently in: Nigeria, Umuahia General field of specialization: Chemical Sciences
Degrees1999 Doctorate Chemical Sciences1989 Master Chemical Sciences
Current Research Activities
• Chemo-preventive effects of dietary vegetables and indigenous medicinal plants and their constituents • Establishing molecular basis for the protective roles of dietary vegetables and medicinal plants against non-communicable diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, cancer and other degenerative diseases. • Marker assisted selection, cross-breeding and improvement of indigenous fowl species for improved meat quantity and quality. • Plant biotechnological modification to enhance the above potentials.
Publications resulting from Research:
1. Egedigwe-Ekeleme, C. A., Ijeh, I. I.,Okafor, P. N., Eleazu, C. O. and Egedigwe, U. O. (2019) Effect of Fractions of Vernonia amygdalina on Some Biochemical Parameters in High Fat Diet-Induced Obese Rats. Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Disorders -Drug Targets. doi: 10.2174/187153031966619022216315
2. Orieke D, Ohaeri, O.C.O, Ijeh, I.I and Ijioma, S.N (2018): Identification of Phyto-components and Acute Toxicity Evaluation of Corchorus olitoris leaf Extract. European Journal of Medicinal Plants. 23(1):1-16
3. Okereke, S.C., Ijeh, I.I., Arunsi, U.O (2017) Determination of bioactive constituents of Rauwolfia vomitoria Afzel (Asofeyeje) roots using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and Fourier transform infrared spectrometry (FT-IR). African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 11 ( 2): 25-31
4. Achi, N.K, Ohaeri O.C, Ijeh I I, and Eleazu C (2017) Modulation of lipid profile and insulin levels of Streptozotocin induced diabetic rats by Methanol extract of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius leaves and some fractions: Effect on oral glucose tolerance of normoglycemic rats. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 86: 562-569..Elsevier Publishers
5. Ekeleme-Egedigwe, C. A., Ijeh, I. I., Okafor, P. N. (2017). Modulatory effects of dietary supplementation by Vernonia amygdalina on high-fat-diet-induced obesity in Wistar rats. Acta Sci. Pol. Technol. Aliment., 16(4), 431–442. http://dx.doi.org/10.17306/J.AFS.2017.0504
6. Ijeh I.I, Eke I.N, Ugwu C.C and Ejike C.E.C.C (2016) Myco-Nourishment from the wild: Chemical Analyses of Nutritional and Amino acid profile of Termitomyces robustus harvested from Uzuakoli, Nigeria. Natural Products Chemistry Research. 4(4); 225 DOI:10 4172/2329-6836. 1000225
7. Egedigwe C.A, Ijeh I.I., Okafor P.N and Ejike C.E.C.C (2016) Aqueous and Methanol Extracts of Vernonia amygdalina leaves exert their anti-obesity effects through modulation of the appetite –regulatory hormones. Pharmaceutical Biology. 54(12) 3232-3236 DOI:10 1080/13880209.2016.1216135. Publisher- Taylor and Francis.
8. Ijeh I.I., Egedigwe A.C., Eke I.N and Uzoho, M.C (2015) Some Biochemical changes in rats fed high fat diets supplemented with Pennisetum purpureum (Schumach). Nigerian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 30(1): 1-6
9. Ikewuchi J. C , Ikewuchi, C. C., Ifeanacho, M. O., Igboh, N M. and . Ijeh, I. I (2013) Moderation of hematological and plasma biochemical indices of sub-chronic salt-loaded rats by aqueous extract of the sclerotia of Pleurotus tuber regium (Fr) Sing's: Implications for the reduction of cardiovascular risk, Journal of Ethnopharmacology 150:466–476 Publisher Elsevier
10 Ijeh, I.I. and Ejike, Chukwunonso E. C.C.C (2010) Current perspectives on the medicinal potentials of Vernonia amygdalina Del. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, 5(7): 1051-1061
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:TeachingI currently Lecture at Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. I also serve as Director Centre for Molecular Biosciences and Biotechnology, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike. I am also the Deputy Editor of the Nigerian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Editor of Journal of Science and Sustainable Technology Science, published by Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike.
Workshop and Conference Attended2008 Cape Town, South Africa 17. World Conference on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants: Held at CTICC, Cape Town South Africa. (9 - 14 November, 2008).2012 Seville, Spain 22nd International Union of Biochemists and Molecular Biologists and 37th Federation of European Biochemical Societies Congress held 4th -9th September, 2012 at Seville, Spain2013 Trieste, Italy 27. International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology; Theoretical Course on RNA Structure and Function, 14-17th April, 2013. Held at ICTP, Trieste, Italy2015 Cape Town, South Africa 35. ICGEB/IUBMB Course on Translational Cancer Research. 12-16th October, 2016, Cape Town South Africa.
AffiliationsNigerian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Presentation given2008Effect of Administration of Aqueous extracts of Vernonia amygdalina. Del leaves to guinea pig dams and contraction of mammary gland and uterus”.Held at CTICC, Cape Town South AfricaEvent: World Conference on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants: Held at CTICC, Cape Town South Africa. (9 - 14 November, 2008).4th -9th September, 2012Haemoglobin polymerization inhibition potentials of crude aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Pleurotus squarossulus and Pleurotus tuber- regium.Seville, SpainEvent: 22nd International Union of Biochemists and Molecular Biologists and 37th Federation of European Biochemical Societies Congress