Margaret JaphetCountry of origin: Nigeria Currently in: Nigeria, Ile-Ife General field of specialization: Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Degrees2017 Doctorate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences2005 Master Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences2001 Undergraduate Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Current Research Activities
Medical and Health Sciences incl Neurosciences
Development of Nanobased Rotavirus kit for prompt diarrhoea diagnosis among children in Nigeria to improve diarrhoea diagnosis and management in order to reduce diarrhoea morbidity/mortality
Publications resulting from Research:
1) Japhet MO., Famurewa O., Adesina OA., Opaleye OO., Wang B., Höhne M., Bock CT., Mas Marques A., Niendorf S (2019). Viral gastroenteritis among children of 0-5 years in Nigeria: Characterization of the first Nigerian aichivirus, recombinant noroviruses and detection of a zoonotic astrovirus. J Clin Virology (Elsevier).17;111:4-11.
2) Japhet M.O., Famurewa O., Iturriza- Gomara M., Adesina O.A., Opaleye O.O., Niendorf S., Bock C.T. and Mas Marques A (2018). Group A Rotaviruses circulating prior to a National Immunization Programme in Nigeria: clinical manifestations, high G12P frequency, intra-genotypic divergence of VP4 and VP7. Journal of Medical Virology. 90(2):239-249.
3) Faleye, TOC, Adewumi, MO, Japhet, MO, David, OM, Oluyege, AO, Adeniji, JA, Famurewa, O (2017). Non-polio enteroviruses in faeces of children diagnosed with acute flaccid paralysis in Nigeria. Virology Journal 14:175.
4) Adesina, A. O., Japhet M.O (2017). Hepatitis B Serological Markers and risk factors among pregnant women and Prospective Blood donors in South Western Nigeria. International Journal of Tropical Medicine and Health. Vo.l 27 (3): 1-9.
5) Japhet, M. O., Adewumi, M. O., Adesina, O. A. and Donbraye, E. (2016). High prevalence of HIV p24 antigen among HIV antibody negative prospective blood donors in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Journal of Immunoassay and Immunochemistry 37(6):555-563. DOI: 10.1080/15321819.2016.1174133.
6) Opaleye, O. O., Japhet, M. O., Adewumi, M. O., Omoruyi, E. C., Akanbi, O.A., Oluremi, A.S., Wang, B., Tong, H.A., Velavan T.P. and Bock C.T. (2016). Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis D virus circulating in southwestern Nigeria. Virology Journal 13(61):1-8. DOI: 10.1186/s12985-016-0514-6.
7) Donbraye, E., Japhet, M. O., Adesina, O. A., Abayomi, O. A. (2014). Prevalence of asymptomatic hepatitis B virus surface antigenemia in children in Ilesha, Osun state, South western Nigeria. African Journal of Microbiology Research 8(23): 2329-2331.
8) Japhet, M.O., Adesina, O.A., Famurewa, O., Svensson, L. and Nordgren, J. (2012). Molecular Epidemiology of Rotavirus and Norovirus in Ile-Ife, Nigeria: High Prevalence of G12P Rotavirus Strains and Detection of a Rare Norovirus Genotype. Journal of Medical Virology 84(9): 1489-1496.
9) Olaniran, O., Ojurongbe, O., Hassan-Olajokun, R.E., Akindele, A. A., Japhet , M.O., Bolaji, S. O., Adedokun, A. A. (2012).The study of Assymptomatic Plasmodium falciparum in humans infected with immunodeficiency virus in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Microbiology Research 3:1 doi:10.4081.
10) Japhet, M.O., Adesina, O.A., Donbraye, E., Adewumi, M.O. (2011). Hepatitis B Core IgM Antibody (anti-HBcIgM) Among Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HBsAg) Negative Blood Donors In Nigeria. Virology Journal 8(513).
Current professionCurrent professional activities type:TeachingLecturing and Research
Workshop and Conference AttendedMay 7-9, 2012. Baltimore, MD, USA. 15th Annual Conference on Vaccine ResearchApril 26 – May 1, 2015. Boston Park Plaza, Boston, USA. Keystone Symposium: Mechanisms of HIV Persistence: Implications for a Cure.October 48, 2015. Dolce Bad Nauheim, Germany. International Meeting on Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B Viruses.26th – 28th September, 2015. Berlin, Germany. xi. The Global Viral Hepatitis Summit; 15th International Symposium on Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease.17th-20th Oct, 2016 Chicago, Illinois., USA. HIV Research for Prevention (HIVR4P).2016. MRC Unit The Gambia in Banjul, Fajara Campus. ImmunoGambia course, sponsored by Kiel University, Germany10th-16th, September 2017. Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani. Durban, South Africa. Keystone Symposium: Vectors, Pathogens and Diseases: Current Trends and Emerging Challenges.2018 Lisbon, Portugal. Ninth EDCTP Forum, 17 to 21 September 2018,9 - 20 September 2019. Arusha, Tanzania. xviii. School on biophysical approaches to macromolecules and cells: integrated tools for life sciences and medicine
Presentation givenMay 7-9, 2012.Molecular Epidemiology of Rotavirus and Norovirus in Ile-Ife, Nigeria: High Prevalence of G12P Rotavirus Strains and Detection of a Rare Norovirus Genotype.Baltimore, MD, USA.Event: 15th Annual Conference on Vaccine ResearchApril 26 – May 1, 2015.Evaluation of HIV and HBV/HCV Co-Infections among Students in a Nigerian University.Boston Park Plaza, Boston, USA.Event: Keystone Symposium: Mechanisms of HIV Persistence: Implications for a Cure.
Other AwardsJul 2010Carnegie Corporation of New York Fellowship Award York through centre for Gender Studies, Obafemi Awolowo UniversityTo travel to Sweden for research on Molecular Epidemiology of Rotavirus and Norovirus among children in Akinlalu Community, NigeriaJan 2015Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND), Nigeria for Academic Staff Training & DevelopmentTo carryout part of my PhD Research at Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Berlin, Germany)Apr 2020European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) Grant AwardCareer Development Fellowship